leeds picture gallery


Out To The West

Out To The West

Submitted: 07/01/13
Description: One of the lower tier entrances to the spectator area here in the West Stand at Elland Road, these also act as the fans exit from the stand. The shot coming from the Football League Championship game against Burnley at Elland Road on the 16th April, 2013.

The West Stand at Elland Road was built in 1957 and replaced the old West Stand which was destroyed by fire. The new stand cost 180,000 to build and was funded by an appeal from the club raising 60,000 with the Leeds City Council also helping out with finances. Originally the West Stand had terracing on the front paddock which had a capacity of 6,000 and seating at the rear which housed a further 4,000 spectators. Later the West Stand became an all seater stand and is considered the major stand at Elland Road. In 1970 the West Stand was streamlined with the Kop after the North West corner was built at a cost of 200,000. After the death of John Charles in 2004 the West Stand was renamed the John Charles Stand in tribute to the great Leeds Utd player.

Leeds United: Kenny, Byram, Lees, Pearce, Warnock, Tonge, Austin, Green, Diouf, McCormack, Varney.
Subs: Somma for McCormack.

Thanks to: Tommy for this great pic.
Views: 3833 views. Averaging 1 per day.
In the most recent 30 day period, there've been 28 views.
Rate this image:

Previous Image | Next Image

Contact the Administration

Site Map