leeds picture gallery


Centenary From The Trench

Centenary From The Trench

Submitted: 08/16/11 (Edited 08/16/11)
Description: A shot here looking at the Centenary Pavilion on Lowfields Road from the trench at the front of the East Stand. Work started on phase one of a five phase development in March 2011 to be finished in the Autumn of 2011 at a cost of 7M. When completed the new first phase development of the East Stand will include 24 new executive boxes, three new hospitality suites, a brand new reception area and lifts. The introduction of the new executive boxes in the East Stand meant around 1,500 seats had to be removed which temporarily reduces the capacity at Elland Road to just under 38,000. The shot coming from the Football League Cup First Round game against Bradford City at Elland Road on the 9th August, 2011.

The East Stand at Elland Road was built in 1993 at a cost of 5.5m. It replaced the old Lowfields Road stand which was demolished in 1992. The East Stand runs along the length of the pitch and is the latest stand in the Elland Road family. The stand has 25 executive boxes that are housed between the two tiers. The top tier of the East Stand holds 7,000 fans and the bottom tier has a capacity of 10,000 making the enormous East Stand's capacity 17,000. The East Stand's cantilever stand model is one of the largest cantilever stands in the world. Originally the bottom tier catered for the family stand members that were relocated from the South East corner after the stand was built in 1993. This has since been changed and now either side of the bottom tier is the area for Members Club members and season ticket holders with juveniles. A large concourse runs under the East Stand that contains shops for Leeds United merchandise, fast food, bookies and a restaurant. In March 2011 the first phase of a multi million five phase redevelopment of the stand took place.

The Centenary Pavilion replaced the Conference and Exhibition Centre on Lowfields Road and was built in the Summer of 2010 ready to open early in the 2010-11 season. The Pavilion is one of the largest in Yorkshire and the city of Leeds, it has a total area of 1900 square metres with no pillars or obstructions and a capacity of 3,000 with a capability of holding 1450 for dinner. Named after the Centenary FA Cup winning team the facility is divisible into two smaller suites, named after Allan Clarke and Mick Jones, two of the players from the 1972 FA Cup final.

Leeds United: Lonergan, Connolly, O'Brien, Kisnorbo, Parker, Brown, Clayton, Sam, Howson, Nunez, McCormack.
Subs: Bromby for O'Brien, Lees for Connolly, Taylor for McCormack.

Thanks To: Rowley for this great pic.
Views: 1845 views. Averaging 0 per day.
In the most recent 30 day period, there've been 0 views.
Rate this image:

Previous Image | Next Image

Contact the Administration

Site Map